Monday, October 17, 2016

I-Go / Type 89 Otsu Medium Tank Fine molds




Hi,

Today another example of what Japanese Army produced. It is probably the best known tank of the thirties, for whom interested in IJA of the period. The tank has an obvious touch of Europe in its shape. It is said that it was inspired/copied from a Vickers tank C, but tanks with this shape were more common in the French Army ( FCM 36/ Renault D2...) and Japan had purchased a few French Renault D1 but it is my point of view and I won't deny what historical sources say.

http://forum.worldoftanks.ru/index.php?/topic/1100668-renault-otsu-v-0811/

The tank saw constant evolution, 4 versions produced. The main obvious difference being the entry door moving from the right side of the front armor to the left side. Also the front armor was made of a single piece of steel on the late production batch.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/jap/Type_89_I-Go.php

Nowadays you have a few surviving Type 89, some real wrecks in the humid jungle, and one fully restored and in running conditions in a Military School in Japan. (see YouTube). The tank wears an overall khaki "camouflage", like what what you could see in the last stage of the war. The type 89 is interesting for its possible camouflages, but for the late type reproduced by Fine Molds, you won't escape the standard yellow stripe + 3 color camouflage. Only the first versions would wear a a more psychedelic scheme, with possible blue/blue grey used. The tank can also be painted in one color, when used by the Navy. There is a debate regarding the use of the grey...



My model is OOB, since the model is a real "Shake and Bake" one! No real comments about the assembly that is staightforward. I have the Individual Tracks set from Modelkasten but saved it for another version I plan to make soon. I added, however, a set for the trunks on the tail of the tank. It is a very nice addition to the tank. So I used the vinyl tracks. I painted my model in overall reddish brown and added the Navy flags on the side as well as on the back of the tank. Such flags were often seen during the early years of the war on the streets of China.

I used Mr Hobby laquer, some diluted Earth , Humbrol ref, and enhanced the shape of the odel with Tamiya Gun metal pastel.









No comments:

Post a Comment